Raspberry & Blueberry Champagne Fizz

      If I had the time, I would have a blog post for every detail to make Valentine's Day extra special. I was lucky enough to have some amazing women contribute Valentine's ideas last week- and in case you missed them, make sure the check them out:
This week I have two more awesome ladies taking part in the series, so make sure to come back to see them!
-----------------------------------------

   Michael and I are pretty simple when it comes to alcoholic beverages. Whether at home or at a bar we always stick to wine, beer, or whiskey. Usually beer. What can I say? This is what happens when you graduate from UW Madison, folks. When we moved down South I was informed by my coworkers that girls down here don't drink beer...and sure enough- whenever we've been out they all drink something fruity and pretty. I haven't been a fan of anything fruity and pretty since one fateful night my sophomore year...the details of which I won't share because

                   1.  My mother reads this blog 
                       and
                   2.  I know some people read this over their lunch break, and it will ruin your appetite.

  That being said, I figured I'd step outside the beer box and try making a fun cocktail for V-Day. It's been a good 4 years since that icky night, and I think I can stomach at least a few sips of something colorful finally, so this is what I came up with after trial and error:

 Raspberry & Blueberry Champagne Fizz
(there are 2 versions to try- depending on how alcoholic or sweet you want it)
Start out with fresh blueberries and frozen raspberries...
Lightly mash them- not too much or else the blueberries will just get a liiiitle yucky.
For Type 1 (the strong version): Mix fruit with 1.5 ounces of vodka, plain or raspberry flavored. Add to glass and fill with champagne.


For Type 2 (the sweet version): Mix fruit with a couple ounces of pomegranate juice, add to glass and fill with champagne. Garnish with lime twist.

(if you don't have a zester- just make your lime twist using a cheese grater!)

Looks good, right?
     I have to say, I could only drink one of these but MAN they are good. I think I'd serve it up in a martini glass, but since we don't drink any martinis at the apartment I didn't have a glass handy! The raspberries keep the drink cold and the pomegranate juice gives it a pink twinge. Perfect for the holiday!

   Would you try this fruity drink for V-Day? Or will you stick to whiskey like Michael and me? Nothing says romance like whiskey folks, it's a fact. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment