rainbow cupcakes

         St. Patty's Day is a few days away, and to be honest- I'm a whopping 0% Irish. You all know, of course, if you follow this blog that I will celebrate pretty much any holiday out there if it means I get to make fun themed food or decor. I'm sure you've seen these cupcakes around on Pinterest at some point, and I finally decided to make them this year. Thus, without further ado, may I present to you...

RAINBOW CUPCAKES! 



Dear sweet Sherry from Young House Love and ridiculously cute Katie from Bower Power are doing their Pinterest Challenge again. While I'm sure these ladies will do some UBER creative and hard pin, I'm just doing one that's tedious...and delicious. Here's how it all happens:


Step 1: Take a box of white cake mix, and mix it up per directions on the box. Separate into 6 different bowls.
Step 2: Add 4-5 drops of food coloring into each bowl to make the colors of the rainbow. If it looks too pastel, just keep adding and mixing until you get the color you're looking for.


Step 3: Start filling your cupcake liners either with purple or red and work your way backwards. You want your cupcake liners to be around 3/4 full when you're finished- so put just a little amount of each color in!!
Step 4: Realize you made too much of a few colors and make nerdy designs on the tops of a few of the cupcakes:
Step 5: Bake as the directions of the box say to do, and let cool completely. Admire the fact that your nerdy designs sort of worked out. (key:SORT OF)
Step 6: Once cool, add white frosting to make a fluffy, cloud like topping! I wish I had make edible gold glitter to top them with...sorry folks, not pot of gold at the end of these rainbow cupcakes.

Step 7: Realize you haven't even looked to see if you succeeded in making a rainbow...and cut those guys open to see that you actually did! (Note: the one below may not be the best example, but most of them turned out pretty great!)

the perfect rainbow cupcake:



Anyone going to be trying these pretty sweets? Next year I'll get my act together and get some gold edible glitter, I promise!

xo, lp

DIY under $5

0 comments:

Post a Comment