Strawberry Basil Lemonade

Wow. Summer has officially hit in Virginia.
I thought I knew humidity in the Midwest....I was wrong. My hair frizz is practically completely horizontal people, it's ridiculous. I figured it was time to start coming up with some ideas for refreshing summer drinks- since I am not a fan of sweet tea [which is blasphemy here in the South]. Thus, I came up with my version of a Strawberry Basil Lemonade: Cool, refreshing, sweet.
Let me make one thing clear: this recipe does NOT make your every day lemonade. This lemonade is not cloyingly sweet or overly sour- mainly because it's all fresh ingredients, and isn't just pure sugar & citric acid. If you love really sweet or sour lemonade- feel free to adjust the sugar & juice levels.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED (serves 1):
- 2 strawberries
- 3 large basil leaves 
- 2  teaspoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (cut a ring of the lemon beforehand for garnish!)
- 1 1/2 cups water

HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN:
1. Dice up your strawberries and rip up your basil leaves.
2. Muddle your berries and basil with your lemon juice.
3. Add a little water and mix in your sugar until pretty well dissolved. 
4. Pour mixture over glass of ice, and pour in remaining water.
5. Stir well, garnish, and enjoy!

*as you'd probably imagine, the flavor gets strong if you let it sit- but if it's not enough for you add more sugar/juice!




Garnishes always make everything look that much better, don't they? 



At about 60 calories, I'd take this over a sugary sweet tea any day! If you're looking for a drink with a little more...shall we say...fun...to it- I'm sure vodka or gin would taste great in this!
If you're looking for more of an intense basil taste- adding a basil simple syrup will do the trick! (If you've never made simple syrup before- it's super easy, check out this recipe)

What's your favorite summer drink?

(send them to me-I love new recipes! beautyandbeard@gmail.com)

xo,lp

0 comments:

Post a Comment